Sunday, June 24, 2007

NECC Opening

Just some thoughts on the opening of NECC 2007...

First, while I (Brian) enjoyed the keynote, I'm felt as though Andy Zolli was preaching to the choir. Okay, I know we don't know it all and he was entertaining (I chuckled more than a few times), but I wonder if his message would be better served at the ASCD conference.

Some points I did like from Andy's address were that all we will have left, as humans, will be our ability to create. He suggested that anything that could be done by a computer/machine will be and that more than we imagined will be done by computers/machines. This was sort of a humbling moment for all. Especially when we realize that we are cutting the creative programs from our schools.

I expect throughout the rest of NECC I will see signs of creativity through technology. In fact, last night at the Georgia Aquarium, many witnessed the emerging presence of virtual worlds, namely Second Life. This morning, I did a quick Flickr tag search for "necc07" and upturned Kathy Schrock's photos set of the Georgia Aquarium in Second Life. If you are wondering... I'm Tooka Mulligan in Second Life.

I will be trying to blog various sessions that I attend to help solidify my thoughts, but also try to inform those of you reading that are not here physically. By the way, this conference, I believe, will be blogged like no other before. Thanks to Steve Hargadon for posting tags and feeds for each session for bloggers to use in order to connect each other as well as make it easier to search for topics related to a particular session.

Now I'm off to the nearest coffee shop, which will probably end up a Starbucks. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home